Monday, March 4, 2013

Our Birth Plan

I feel like I need to start with a disclaimer of sorts.  This post is not meant to seem judgmental. It is a reflection of how I feel and what I have learned throughout my two pregnancies and the birth of Grant.   A woman's birth is an extremely powerful and personal experience.   Most importantly, each woman has the power to shape and make it exactly how she wishes with the proper information and education.  Birth does not have to be what society makes it out to be or what a doctor tells you it has to be.  A natural birth may not be for everyone but an educated birth path is always the best option. 

I know no matter how prepared you are or I was for the birth of baby sometimes there are circumstances and baby and/or our bodies just have other plans and a birth plan goes flying out the window. However, if you know me, I am a planner. I always have been, always will be. With Grant we did everything by the book. We took a Hypnobirthing class (a method that introduces a natural, relaxed method of birth with the help of breathing techniques and visualization), took the hospital class (what a joke!), hired a doula, had a birth plan written and then at 34 weeks we found out Grant was frank breech (butt down, torso and legs straight up) and it seemed like all of our plans went out the window. I can't tell you how many people I called that day sobbing because a c-section seemed inevitable. I was told there was still plenty of time for baby to turn which of course there was and is at that point but if he didn't I knew what it meant.

We, well mainly I went into crisis mode doing endless research and calling in every person we knew for help (typical Autumn.. explore and research all options). Our Hypnobirthing instructor did two hypnosis sessions with me. Our doula came over a couple of times to try various inversion techniques. I visited the chiropractor several times so she could try the Webster Technique (an adjustment specifically for breech babies). And as a last resort we tried an external cephalic version (ECV). I say last resort because it literally was.

At 37 weeks we walked into the hospital, they got me set up in a labor and delivery room, hooked me up to a monitor, and put in an IV. It is a must that mom is prepped and ready for surgery in case something goes wrong and they need to get baby out immediately which is a possibility with an ECV. They gave me terbutaline which is used to relax the uterus and stop/slow any contractions (braxton hicks at that point) I was having. My doctor and a fellow physician then proceeded to lube up my belly and push and pull and crank on Grant. The force they were using was literally so great their hands were shaking. After several tries, they both agreed that "he was really in there and not going anywhere." My doctor talked about our options and said we could schedule a c-section for the 11th in which I proceeded to break down and sob yet again. We had to stay at the hospital, me hooked up to the monitor to keep an eye on Grant for over an hour after the procedure to make sure everything was ok. Side note: The next day I felt like I had literally been kicked and punched in the stomach. It hurt to laugh, cough, and even move. I can't imagine how poor little Grant felt in there.

We were told that sometimes baby's are breech for a reason. I also knew that baby's have been known to turn at the last minute during labor. However, we were not willing to take the risk of what going into labor could mean although there are many accounts of breech babies born naturally with no problems encountered by baby or mom. I was the person that cried when I had a c-section not because of the pain (which there was plenty of for weeks... anyone who thinks a c-section is the easy way out is a fool and I even have a high pain tolerance. No offense). I felt I had been robbed of a truly empowering and beautiful experience everyone woman who desires should be entitled to.

This time around I am fully prepared to make modifications to our birth plan as we see fit but I absolutely and utterly intend on having a natural (as in medication free), VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean). I know some people reading that sentence will laugh and say "yeah right" or "why would she ever want to do that?"  Well frankly, because I can and I will. My mother did it with both of her children. I have had several friends do the same thing and I have an amazing support network. I learned in our Hypnobirthing class and had it instilled in me very early (from my mother) that a natural birth is possible for anyone and very often best for both mom and baby.  Having a natural birth is not necessarily going to be easy and just because a woman has one doesn't mean that maybe she happened to get "lucky" with an "easy delivery" as I have heard some woman say to others who have had a natural birth.   Why do we as women have such a tendency to try to break each other down and tell horror birth stories when we should be building each other up and encouraging one another?  We are also opting for some other items in our birth plan such as delayed cord clamping, kangaroo care (immediate skin to skin contact after birth), no application of erythromycin (that goo they put on baby's eyes right away), and no hepatitis vaccine.  Unfortunately, in most hospitals these options are not the norm even though they absolutely should be.  It is what is best for baby and bonding and that should be the priority. 

Unfortunately, we as women have been led to believe many myths about what childbirth has to be which is utterly false. I highly encourage anyone (even those not planning on a natural birth) who is expecting or planning on children to read Mother's Intention: How Beliefs Shape Birth 2nd Edition as well Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method (even if you don't take the class it has some extremely valuable unbiased, educational information in it).  Look into seeking supportive caregivers and independent childbirth educators (not hospital affiliated, they regulate what can and can't be taught and often push for medical intervention or label interventions as the norm) who view birth as a natural occurrence and not a medical condition.   Bottom line... do the research and get informed.  Don't always accept what you are told as the ultimate truth or final answer. 

Only rarely does a normal, healthy pregnancy in itself merit the use of interventions but frequently unnecessary interventions lead to complications in pregnancy and birth.

Most of all I ask that you, our friends and family keep us in your prayers as we continue this journey and I can't wait to share our natural, VBAC birth story.

No comments:

Post a Comment