Friday, April 5, 2013

38 Weeks




Holy smokes!  This is getting very real.  I think it is finally hitting us that we could literally be meeting her any day now.  Get your vote in for when you think she will arrive!  I had a feeling all along that she may be early but now I am obviously second guessing that...   

How Far Along: 38 Weeks, 1 Day

Baby's Size:  Pumpkin Average size: 18.9-20.9 inches, 6.2-9.2 lbs (Another source says baby weighs about 7 lbs and is approximately 21 inches head to toe.)
Baby may have an inch or so of hair already

Total Weight Gain:
Home scale:  3.2 lbs this week (I don't know how much of this is from my appetite that has returned or from the water retention aka cankles I am sporting most days) bringing me to 27.6 lbs total
Doctor’s scale: 29 lbs at our 38 week appointment today
Weight gained with Grant at this point:  41.2 lbs

Maternity Clothes:  You betcha! 

Baby's Movement:  Still very active.  I thought she would have slowed down by now.   

Food Cravings:  Everything in sight!  I am definitely feeling much better and have my appetite back. 

Food Aversions:  Turn down food?  Yeah right!

Sleep:  I am back to sleeping great... thank goodness!  I am still up at about 3 or 4 for a bathroom break then right back to sleep.   

Symptoms:  The biggest change this week has been the appearance of major CANKLES!  It doesn't take all day for them to appear.  Instead they are raring and ready to go by late morning.  I have been getting a lot of food massages.  They were very apparent Saturday through Tuesday but seemed to have calmed down a little by Wednesday and Thursday.   

The picture really doesn't do them justice
Overall, I am feeling great though.  I have been having more twinges of pressure and cramps and achey middle back.  I even woke up twice one night this week because the contractions I had were slightly painful (nothing regular and able to go right back to sleep).  My appetite is back after being sick.  I was able to stuff myself on Easter.  I have noticed an increase in spider veins but feel very lucky that yet again with this pregnancy I have had no varicose veins and no stretch marks.  I am feeling energized even at the end of my days. 

Best Moment(s) This Week:  Mommy and Grant day on Good Friday at the Appleton Children's museum and lunch.  Easter... click here to check out a post about those activities if you haven't already. 

We finished up our progression maternity pictures with Jamie last weekend and took some family shots.  We were going to wait one more week but decided to do them last weekend to be on the safe side.

I also went to a group meeting called "Fond du Lac Birth Connections" at Blossom's Pregnancy Boutique (our doula, Kamala owns the store) this week.  It was extremely refreshing to be around a group of women some of which have experienced their share of battles and heartache in the births of their children and for subsequent births they chose to advocate for themselves to ensure they had the birth of their dreams.  I know I will soon have a similar story to share and it is awe inspiring to hear the true power and feeling a birth such as this gives to the women who have experienced it.   

What I Miss:  Being comfortable and having my body as my own.  I know I am going to miss her in there so I am still trying to enjoy every hiccup, roll, poke, jab and even contraction.   

What I Am Looking Forward To:  My mom's arrival on Wednesday and of course meeting this little girl! 

What's Different This Time:  Our c-section was scheduled and we knew the date that we were going to meet Grant (unless he would've have chosen to come earlier).  Again and I know I have said this already... the surprise and suspense is killing me!  We are so excited!  

Appointment update:  Baby girl's heartbeat was thumping away at 137 bpm.  My uterus measured the same as last week (37 cm) to which the doc (Dr. Peschong because Dr. Dennis is out of town) asked if it felt like she has dropped.  I told her no she is still very much all up in my ribs.  I am still sitting at 1 cm with no further dilation.  It just doesn't look like this bun is close to being done.  We'll see what next week brings...

Next Appointment:
April 11th - 39 week appointment

No comments:

Post a Comment