Monday, August 12, 2013

Mommy Confession

As parents, you all know that we face various hiccups and struggles depending on the developmental stages of our children.  It just so happens that we have been struggling with Grant’s independent, defiant 2 ½ year old phase at the same time as we have been adjusting to a new baby and me going back to work.  I am sure this is a common struggle all over the world as it seems like a normal age gap between many siblings.

With Grant, I struggle on a daily basis on how to lovingly parent but at the same time set boundaries and rules.  Matt has the same struggles but handles them differently and I would say better than I do.  In the moments of his utter meltdowns and screaming, I try to stay composed and calm but let’s be honest… That isn’t always the case.  There are times when I falter and think to myself it would be so much easier if we just gave in.  I will be the first to admit that there are times when I lose my cool because I am at my wits end with a little boy who absolutely refuses to listen and no method of parenting or discipline is getting through to him.  Quite simply, I become unglued and exhausted.

That is why I found it so fitting when a friend on Facebook shared a Bible study she had done called “No more unglued Momma mornings” and I knew it was exactly what I needed… to feel like I am not the only one dealing with this struggle and feeling the guilt of not always knowing the right thing to do, say, or having those moments when I lose my cool.  The quote that caught my eye was “The rhythm of motherhood will always be set to a slightly chaotic beat.  I can be rattled to the core by the unpredictability of it all.  Or I can choose to laugh, dance, and remember I’m managing blessings.”  I am working on having fewer unglued moments or moments when I am rattled to the core because I have lost control of a situation.  I am trying to make “imperfect progress” as the Bible study talked about and over all just slow down.

I want to conscientiously choose moments to be a “counselor parent” as the study points out and express my love for our children no matter what they say or do, yet be strong enough to deliver appropriate consequence.  I want to learn to allow them to struggle so that real learning takes place.  I don’t want to be a “rescuing parent” who leans heavily on love, but shies from truth or a “dictating parent” who leans heavily on truth, but mixes little love.  As the study pointed out, “It is difficult to balance, and our anxiety or anger often reveals where we fall on the continuum between rescuer and dictator” and I know where I want to strive to be. 

As I mentioned, another struggle in this all has been my return to work.  Before my return, I was ready and had mixed feelings about it all.  After my return, I have struggled in the last week to find a balance and feel like my children truly get quality time with me.  I think I have pinpointed why it’s been so much harder to go back to work than it was last time with Grant.  It isn’t because I love Amelia more than I love Grant.  In fact there was a time in my pregnancy with Amelia where I wondered to myself how I could possible love two children as much as the overwhelming, make you want to cry kind of love I feel/felt for Grant.  Did I really have enough love to share and give another child?  The answer is an unequivocal yes.  Anyway, I think the answer for me for why it has been so much harder is because I have now witnessed firsthand with Grant how fast it really does go.  The saying is cliché and we hear it all the time but the fact that our baby boy is now 2 ½ in what seems like the blink of an eye blows my mind.  And I know Amelia is just behind him and those precious moments go too fast and I don’t want to miss a moment.

So I will remind myself on a daily basis or in those moments when Grant isn’t listening and Amelia is crying and feel spread thin to make imperfect progress and most importantly we are not alone!    


Philippians 4:6

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs and don’t forget to thank him for his answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment